Get involved with a Samaritans Event!
- Apply to be a marathon runners for the 2013 Boston Marathon (Samaritans Team pending our receipt of charity numbers for 2013) .
- Volunteer the day of the Marathon in 2013. Help us to cheer on the Samaritans runners and organize our “Post-Marathon Celebration”.
- Volunteer to participate in organizing the Marathon Team Fundraising Event in February
- This is an event that we would love for you to attend where you can meet volunteers and other special people in our community!
- Volunteer to work at the event: be a greeter, work registration, etc.
- Be a Table Host – Invite others to join you for this free fundraising event
- Spread the word about the 5K. Hand out registration forms and 5K flyers to your local gyms, school, town offices and restaurants.
- Form a 5K fundraising team in honor or memory of someone to benefit Samaritans
- Create an individual fundraising webpage to generate support for Samaritans
- Volunteer the day of the event, or organize a group of friends to volunteer with you.
Organize a Fundraising Event of Your Own
- What do you and your network of friends like to do? Golf? Bowl? Dine at Fine Restaurants? If you have a knack for organizing special events and would like to do one of your own to benefit Samaritans, we would like to speak with you.
- Samaritans has limited resources to create and manage our own events but we greatly appreciate those who want to organize and manage an event on our behalf!
Events Not For You? There are lots of other ways to help:
Help out in the Office!
- Administrative tasks that require assistance in both our Boston and Framingham offices occur every day – photocopying, filing, data entry, putting together literature packets, etc. where volunteers can make a big difference
- Providing office supplies or other donated items that are used on a routine basis by any organization is also a great help
- Updated software is another gift that can make a huge difference to our operation
Help us “spread the word” about suicide prevention and the work of Samaritans:
- Host a Listening for Life* session at your work or neighborhood
- Distribute Samaritans brochures and wallet cards at your local school, workplace or area business
- Schedule a “Coffee with Samaritans” – invite 3 friends to join us for coffee and talk about Samaritans and the issues of suicide. Let others discover how they can also help us!
- Contact your local media outlet and help construct a story (perhaps your story) about Samaritans and our work. We can provide you with testimonial and information about our life-saving services. This is a great way to spread the word about our organization.
- Visit your local State Representative or State Senator and educate them on this important issue (we can provide you with information) and ask for their support
- Become involved in the Massachusetts Coalition for Suicide Prevention
Donate Items—some of the things we need!
- Snacks and magazines for our helpline volunteers: collect/purchase these items individually, or do a “snack/magazine drive” at your school, work or business to support the volunteers who work our helplines in our Boston and Framingham offices.
- Raffle prizes for our fundraising events— call/visit restaurants, shops, spas and other businesses you have relationships with, explain the work of Samaritans, and ask if they have items they are willing to donate.
- Sponsors for our fundraising events- call/visit restaurants, shops, spas and other businesses you have relationships with, explain the work of Samaritans, and ask if they would consider sponsoring a Samaritans event. We can provide you information about each of our events
- Food and refreshments for our volunteers at different events— Annual SafePlace Memorial Service, Volunteer Appreciation Event, Holiday Parties for our volunteers.
Other Donated Pro/Bono Expertise is always appreciated
- Do you have access to printing services?
- Do you possess legal expertise to review contracts?
- Are you expert in sound systems?
- What about expertise in developing web-based training?
- Are you a webmaster or designer of websites?
- What unique skills and experiences do you have that might benefit an organization like Samaritans?
To explore any of these volunteer opportunities, please fill out the following form or contact Garrett Owen at
*Listening for Life is an information session designed to inform people about the issue of suicide and the prevention work that Samaritans is doing in our communities